Re: Linux

by Bill Rhodes <wrhodes(at)qualcomm.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:39:31 -0700
 To:  "Kae Verens" <kverens(at)orbism.com>,
<Reywob(at)aol.com>,
<hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:55 PM 9/19/00 +0100, Kae Verens wrote:
> > Which would you recommend?  It needs to be capable of running on a 486
>with
> > 16Mb RAM
>
>Of those two, I'd recommend Mandrake 7.1 for a beginner, but your system is
>a bit low spec for the default windows managers. Maybe with BlackBox (one of
>the managers you get with it), it might run at a respectable speed.

That sounds really, really painful.  Blackbox will run like a wounded prawn
on that configuration.  I don't think X is a possibility.  I've run Red Hat
and Blackbox on a pentium 60 w/ 16MB and it was nearly unusable.  I
couldn't get much done except from the shell.  Unless you're planning on
building a router or becoming a serious command line guru, a 486 isn't much
good.

I just saw refurbished IBM PS/2s in my local computer weekly magazine for
$200.  P200, 2GB HDD, 32MB RAM, 1MB video.  They'd run Mandrake w/ a WM
just fine.  And with the hours you'd save over waiting for a 486 to stop
swapping, the machine's cost might pay for itself in a couple months...  :-)

-B