Re: Positioning confusion

by Gerhard Schoening <g.sch(at)onlinehome.de>

 Date:  Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:39:26 +0200
 To:  Tenley Shewmake <ts(at)awebresource.com>
 Cc:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Tenley,

On Friday, July 19, 2002 at 18:22 you wrote:

> Your solution looks great in Netscape6 (and I suspect IE various
> versions) but a screen shot from NN4.75 shows the layout to be pretty
> unusable:
> http://www.awebresource.com/doghero/dogpics/nn4screen.jpg

Boy - what a difference... :-| very bad... indeed!

> Perhaps that's my already clunky stylesheet - or maybe the way NN 4
> treats that margin-left attribute. But it doesn't degrade gracefully :=(

Not sure... but maybe it's because I removed all the JS
rollover stuff and just left an image for all the "links"
(which aren't links anymore)...?!

> So what's next?
>         1)Browser sniffer? ~2-3 hours since I've never done it.

No - our last ressort...

>         2)Put the $#@@* thing into a <.td>? ~3 minutes.

NO - don't give up yet ;)

>         3)Something else?

Yes. I'll look it over again and send you two "difference
snippets" so you can see where I changed the code in your
test page and stylesheet. THEN please setup another test
page (as close to your original page as can be) and just
change THAT code according to the differences - THEN look
again in all your browsers (and please send me that link,
too)...

OK?

Regards,
Gerhard

Gerhard Schoening:

Community & Portal Websites in PHP & MySQL
http://www.cp-web.com

Bilingual Web Design and Programming
http://www.schoening-online.com