Re: Serif fonts

by "EB" <doublebase(at)wanadoo.nl>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:06:52 +0200
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>

From: Dale <dale(at)hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Serif fonts

| I have another question about styles.  When I do this:
|
| P, DIV, BLOCKQUOTE, TD { font-size: 13px; font-family: Georgia, Times New
| Roman, Times, serif }

note that you can use the shorthand if you define size and family:
font: 13px Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;
this also sets font-weight, font-style, font-variant and line-height to
their initial value(normal)

| do I need to place quotes around Times New Roman?

yes
for backwards compatibility double quotes are preferable ("blah" rather than
'blah') and close with a semicolon when using quoted statements including
whitespace; afaik only ie3 has probs with this but it's little extra effort
:)

| Also, does capitalization matter?

only in xhtml;
everything should be lower case.