Re: Feedback on left right scrolling

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:34:26 -0700
 To:  "Linda Goin" <info(at)goinhome.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<mab(at)OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Linda,

Regarding WebTV, consider that ANYTHING designed larger than about 550px
wide will be compressed, including graphics if necessary. There are two font
styles (serif, sans-serif) and two or three sizes for them. Frames display
but do not lock, and if you have NOFRAMES content, that displays RIGHT ALONG
WITH THE FRAMES CONTENT (kinda weird). All links are selected with a big
yellow box that frequently hides surrounding graphics or text.

I would recommend downloading the free simulator from
http://developer.webtv.net/design/tools/viewer/ (it's 4.2MB for Windows,
5.8MB for Mac), and take a look at some of your pages with it. Some pages
won't look too bad, and others will likely surprise you. I've only recently
begun including WebTV in my design philosophy, so not all of my stuff is
compliant yet. One thing to keep in mind if you DO start writing for WebTV:
It claims to be able to do CSS1/2 -- it's lies. It lies HORRIBLY! Don't
believe it! NETSCAPE 4.x does a better job! :-)

Enjoy!
Kehvan