Re: PDF on website

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:19:34 +0100
 To:  "Trevor Lockwood" <trevor(at)author.co.uk>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The biggest problem is that the average home user does not have Acrobat
Reader installed, and it's a large download.

> In the UK we have problems with online access - it costs money.

Only if you're on a poor ISP.

> It is cheaper to download and read offline.

Or you could look back in your internet cache after you've disconnected.

> Working in international education I also find that works in countries
> using fairly basic computer equipment, who often do not have a printer.

But they DO have Acrobat Reader!?

> As we move forward ebook readers, such as those of Microsoft and
> Adobe, may present a better onscreen alternative but for now Adobe
> Acrobat does a good job.

My biggest problem with Acrobat Reader is that it's much less usable, with
regard to navigating through pages of text, than a web site.

Interestingly, I've just purchased a PDA with a colour LCD screen.  It has
Microsoft Reader with "ClearType".  Unfortunatley, it's much more difficult
to read the text in that program than it is on my computer monitor using a
normal sans-serif font.

> We must all live a little, life is not all about making money.

...and your definition of living is to use Acrobat Reader rather than HTML?
Interesting!

Tim