Re[2]: PHP / Date / Timezone

by Nathan Lyle <nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:17:35 -0400
 To:  "Martin Clifford" <MLC1(at)nrc.gov>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If you want the time to be local, then just use JavaScript
> to output the date and time.  I can understand trying to
> use PHP to do things, but there's no reason you should go
> with the easier of the solutions.  PHP is server-based, thus
> the time will be based on the server's clock.  JavaScript is
> client-based, so the time will accurately portray whatever
> time the user has on their machine.

I don't think it would have been best for this situation. What I was
trying to do was write the date (in a non-technical looking format) to
a text file along with order information and then tack it in the
message of an email with some of the info as well. It's only one
person who's going to really be viewing these or *caring* what the
date is, so I just wanted to know how to make the server translate
it's own into our own. <shrug> I've combined Javascript with PHP
before, and it's not always the easiest marriage to make work.
Scripting languages within scripting languages... makes for a very
rube goldbergian kind of product. ;-)

~ The U.P. Web Maestro (Nathan Lyle)

  E-Mail: nathan(at)upwebmaestro.com
  Online: www.upwebmaestro.com
   Phone: (906)485-4806

"Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25!" - Andrew Rutherford