Re: Keeping current

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 04 Feb 2000 15:49:32 EST
 To:  wiers(at)willard-oh.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is an important issue.  There are so many advances of one kind or
another in our field, it's possible to spend your entire time keeping up.
So the trick would be to work out what you need to keep up about, and what
you can let go.

But if you take that view, you need to know what's going on in the areas
you're not staying tight with, so you make sure you dont let anything
important get away from you.

I keep up with developments in the field with a couple of email bulletins,
and  some daily bulletins.  There's a lot of them at www.tipworld.com   you
can have them send daily bulletins about tips and developments on about 40
or more topics.

And I use the HWG lists.  When discussion starts about how to do this or
that and seems to occupy a lot of people's minds, and I know nothing about
that topic, its an indication that perhaps there's a subject I'd better bone
up on.

Another excellent resource is the webmonkey site. (www.webmonkey.com)  there
you can see what people are demanding tutorials about, perhaps indicating
important issues that you need to get up to date on - and you can get
started right away.

But I think you have to relax about technology.  No matter how many things
you are expert in, there will still be a zillion other disciplines you are
hopelessly ill-informed about.  Go ahead and learn everything you need to
know about FLash4 and just as you're proficient, they'll bring out Flash5 or
a competitor will bring out something better.  You have to pick out a few
disciplines you're going to be expert in and keep up with every development,
and for all the rest,  just be happy to know where you can find out what you
need, or know where you can hire in experts in that field.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia