Re: javascript file mod date

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:07:21 -0400
 To:  Steve Segarra <ssegarra(at)mitre.org>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>This is not necessarily true.  Just because the page is generated does
>not mean it has been modified.  The last modified date is the date when
>the actual content of the page changes, more than the an banner ad, or
>date, or whatever.

 From what I understand, something like a banner ad is picked randomly from
an array of such ads, or the <.img> reference stays the same and whatever
is at the other end changes ( Ex. being that <.img src="file.gif"> remains,
while the actual file 'file.gif' is changed.) But in both these cases, the
actual coding of the page need not change at all, even though the end
result shows something different on the screen.

But, if Javascript is generating the page through reflection, then the
actual code is being created right then, to be interpreted by the browser.

So I guess the question is where does lastModified get it's info from, or
what flips the switch to update that info?

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email:  natlyle(at)nmu.edu    or    jopling(at)geocities.com
Web: http://euclid.nmu.edu/~natlyle
Phone: (906)485-4806

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music
while the music lasts." - Thomas Eliot