Re: video problem

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:16:56 -0400
 To:  Susan Friesen <susanfriesen(at)telus.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:08 PM 9/17/2003, Susan Friesen wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I'm experiencing a problem with a video that we show on our site and I'm not
>sure what the cause is, or how to fix it. I'm hoping someone can offer some
>ideas and suggestions....
>
>On this page: http://www.investinakinderworld.com/videos.shtml We are
>offering two versions (WM and QT) of the Invest in a Kinder World
>Coin-spiracy video. (top section) I can see both of these videos fine using
>Windows Media Player and of course QT.
>
>However, I am starting to get some feedback from several people saying that
>the WM version is not displaying the video, they are only hearing the audio.
>Of course, I put them through the latest WM version scenario and all other
>obvious paces but to no avail. The clincher is that they are able to see
>other videos (sitting on a different server) with no problem. Also, the
>person who created our WM and QT versions is very knowledgeable in this
>field and I highly doubt it has much to do with how he compressed the file.
>
>So, what could it be? Is it a server issue? Perhaps we shouldn't be offering
>WM at all and use a different, more stable format for the Windows OS? If so,
>what would be the best choice?
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Kind regards,
>Susan

Susan,

I have had something similar happen in my dual monitor setup, where the
sound could be heard, but no video until I dragged the window to the other
monitor.  I cannot explain why this happens (anyone?), but maybe it is a
clue for your problem.  My setup is 2GHz Pentium with an NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti
4200 running in dual monitor mode (1600x1200 each on 19" CRTs).  The video
card has analog and digital output.  I am using a converter to drive my
second monitor off the card.

Norman
www.craftedsolutions.com
803-405-1008