Re: Lowercase Tags (was: Question About XML Format (was: Program Need ed))

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:41:10 -0800
 To:  bryan.westbrook(at)amd.com
 Cc:  hwg-xml(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:10 AM 1/18/2001 , bryan.westbrook(at)amd.com wrote:
>I was confusing XML with XHTML which does require lowercase specifically.
>Another casualty of the Alphabet Soup Wars.
>
>That story about the coin flip that someone posted earlier sure explains a
>lot (it's totally irrational but it explains it).  What are the alleged pros
>of using lowercase tags though?

It parallels several languages already existing which chose to
standardize on lowercase tags.

However, I do not believe there was a literal coin toss at any
time.

Basically, the justification was about 51% for lowercase and 49%
for uppercase, and -something- had to be chosen, knowing that
around half the people would be disappointed.

You know, sorta like the recent US presidental election [sic].

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett                                    mailto:kynn(at)hwg.org
Board Member, HTML Writers Guild                 http://www.hwg.org/