Re: getting back to the root directory

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:19:34 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susan:

Of course I could very well be missing your point. But ---

If these are HTML files, why not simply use relative links.

Just like the paths you use in "Save As" dialog boxes, one only goes back to
the basic "hard drive" level when you have to. Otherwise, you simply skip up
and down a notch.

If you are following these links with either a web browser or Word for
example, there is no need for absolute links. Just as long as there is a
logical path from where you are now to where you want to go.

For example: If you had a path something like this:

C:\main directory\second folder\filenameone.htm

And you wanted to do to:

C:\main directory\third folder\filenametwo.htm

Your link would simply be "third folder\filenametwo.htm"

There would be no need to name either the "root" or in this case, the "main
directory".

If you leave the root un-named, ("../etc/etc/file.htm"), then the device
where the file structure is physically located will determine that root
automatically.

Do this just as you would set up relative links in your web structure so the
web will work, both on your hard drive and on the web server. The browser
does not care as long as it has a clue where to jump next.

I hope I've expressed this in a manner that's clear. I do tend to ramble at
times.

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA