Re: Encrypting Text

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:11:15 -0700
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Anna:

Let me say right off, I'm talking about the PRACTICAL aspect here. The
simple answer is -- NO!!

Once your customers pull the book copy off the CD and into their computer,
they "own" it.  Maybe not legally but it's theirs to do-with as they will.

The only way to protect data is to lock it into a vault and hire a small
army to protect the vault. Even printed books can fall victim to a thirty
dollar OCR program.

Now--having said all that--I doubt that you need worry too much. Most people
are honest. And even if they weren't, stealing data is hard work. So--unless
your CD is rather expensive, it's a lot cheaper in time, etc. to simply send
the CD back and forth or buy a second one.

To illustrate my point: I have three action adventure novels on the web.
www.temercraft.com/novels/ (spies, war, sex and violence, etc.)

The entire text is right on the web for all to see. I have asked readers to
send along five bucks to keep the author in coffee.  In two years, I have
thus far received a couple dozen e-mails pointing out my spelling and other
factual shortcomings and a total of thirty five dollars.

However--also thus far--no Hollywood movie producer has stolen any of the
books to make a movie .... ??

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA