RE: Copyright violations (is Re: Image Stealing)

by Lori Eldridge <lorield(at)uswest.net>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:19:56 -0700
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>You know what I have found that works *really* well?
>
>E-Mail.
>
>I simply send the owner of the art a message asking for their permission to
>use it (usually explaining my intentions for display, and offering a link
>to them), and 9 times out of 10,  I get permission to use the darned piece
>of art.

It also works when you find someone pilfering your work. I was
searching for my name a few days ago in one of the search engines to
see how many of my pages showed up and I noticed a review I had
written was being featured on another web site. It was a review of
the children's cartoon Mulan from a Christian viewpoint (one of the
best reviews I've ever written). Some students from a well known
college used it in their online article on film culture. I was
thrilled they thought my review was good enough to use, however,
although they had given me credit in their bibliography they
neglected to indicate when they were quoting me verbatim and it
appeard that they had written the review themselves which irked me no
end.

I wrote the students and their teachers and the head of their
department and asked them to either give me full credit or take my
review off their web site. One of the students who formatted the
Mulan story, wrote me the next morning and profusely apologized
saying they threw it together quickly at the end of the last quarter
and neglected to properly cite my work. They had the whole thing
taken off the web site by that morning--I suspect they didn't have
any of the sources fully credited.

Ask and ye shall receive :o)

sometimes,

Lori