Re: Hello?

by Mike Livsey <mlivsey(at)qwest.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:44:58 -0700
 To:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Lauren Hanka <bluejay(at)starband.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Web accessibility issues are not just for poeple who are visually impaired.
There are a lot of other disabilities that come into play with the WWW like
motor disabilities, lack of hearing and cognitive disabilities. Many times
potential users of a website are turned away because they can't use the site.

One major concern of a text only site is that you now have two sites to
maintain. This can be a big deal especially with a dynamic site/database driven
site where more than one person is updating information.

Have you ever tried using a screen reader or some of the other assistive
technology. I have for learning purposes, to see how these tools are used. Give
it a try and remember, its not just 100% blind people that these accessibility
guidelines  are created for.

To learn more try visiting
http://www.awarecenter.org/
It's the HWG's accessible web authoring resources and education center

Mike