XHTML 2.0 and "br" (was XHTML 1.0 validator at W3C)

by "Joshua Graham" <JoshuaGraham(at)grahamis.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:27:32 +0100
 To:  <hwg-xml(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa(at)xs4all.nl>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear all,

Just read the draft spec for XHTML 2.0, and guess what?

The "br" element has been deprecated. What a surprise.

This is a direct recognition of the question (see original emails down
below): I'm surprised that the "br" element is part of the Strict DTD, as
it's surely presentation markup.

The new "line" element is it's semantic replacement and suits concept of a
structured line of text well (whether that text is rendered as a line
separated from other lines by a line break or not).

It's also good to see the "p" element now containing other elements as the
universe intended.

Warm regards,
Josh.