Re: Bibliographic Metadata for Gutenberg

by "Thomas G. Habing" <habing(at)acm.org>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 22:37:11 -0500
 To:  Murray Altheim <altheim(at)eng.sun.com>
 Cc:  hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Murray, et al.

The DLib project with which I'm involved at the U. of Illinois has developed a
metadata DTD based on RDF, Dublin Core, and some custom elements.  It is
primarily focused on scientific/technical journal articles, but might provide a
springboard to a more generic DTD.

We have also been experimenting with the ISO 11179 standard for describing
metadata (meta-meta-data :-).  You can see some of our documentation at
http://dli.grainger.uiuc.edu/iso11179/idli.asp.  We also have a DTD for our
scheme, which I could make available, if there is interest.  We also have XSL
style sheets for transforming the markup to HTML for viewing extended
citations.

Comments, questions, criticisms welcome.

Tom
--
Thomas G. Habing
  mailto:habing(at)acm.org